Friday 30 January 2015

Getting Organised for the Week Ahead


Right now I'm juggling two blogs, a YouTube channel, a dissertation and I'm also trying to put together an entire magazine from scratch, so to say my to do list is large is a bit of an understatement.

I've now got a bit of a Monday morning routine for managing the lot. I fill up my teapot with my current favourite blend (right now I'm all about Teapigs Spiced Winter Tea), stick on the latest episode of GIRLS (even though that show has gone pretty downhill, and being the granny that I am, I cringe at all the crass sex references), and sit down with a pile of stationery that would make Paperchase look a little sparse. I give myself an hour to put everything down on paper.

I start with a big pad of A4 lined paper (the flowery one on the left, it's from Paperchase) and I write down everything that I can think of that I have to do in the week. No big tasks, I break it all down into little steps, I write down deadlines if there are any, and I colour code the lot. Doing this is pretty daunting, but I at least know what I'm dealing with. I then take my beloved Erin Condren life planner, write in any classes I have and any events or plans, so I know what time I have free to devote to tackling the to do list! I like to have a bit of fun with my planner, with pretty stickers and a slightly disgusting amount of washi tape because it makes me more likely to stick to the plan!

I've got this cute desktop planner from Emma Bridgewater that I use to divide all the tasks up by day, I keep this on my desk kinda like a looming reminder of my impending doom. I try to stick to it as much as possible for fear of tasks spilling into the next day. Also, it's really satisfying when I get to cross them out with my giant red pen (which I definitely didn't just buy to feel like a teacher).

As far as blog stuff goes, I'm currently working out of two Rifle Paper Company notebooks (swoon), where I list everything, notes on posts, details on work I'm doing with different brands, what photos to take, that kinda stuff. I have a big excel document where I plan out what post goes on what day, but all of the important stuff is in these books.

It all works for me, and I actually relish my hour with a pot of tea and a stack of books on a Monday morning! It's a nice gentle way to start the week!
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Being organized keeps me alive so I truly love this post and your ideas. I've yet to upgrade to the Erin Condren way of life because I'm not sure that I need that much space to plan everything out but I do love the way it looks! I stick with a smaller planner, a few post-its, stickers, and colored pens and I'm good to go. Also, a little notebook for blog things and the occasionally timed daily to-do list. I'm definitely always looking for different ways to stay organized though.

    *Amanda @ Stuff Amanda Likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - I am addicted to stationery! I used my desk planner to jot down the things I have to do each day and I swear I would forget so much without it!
    sophiecliff.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many different notepads to keep myself organised that I tend to get them muddled up! I have a food planner, blog planner, creative writing pad, weekly and daily organiser and work notepad... I may have go e a little OTT! But your strategy seems to work nicely - I like the idea of breaking all tasks into mini steps. And as someone who trained at a teacher, a red pen is a must have!
    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to go mad with stationery though! It really does help to break it all down, I find 'clean the oven' and 'put a dark wash on' much less intimidating than 'clean kitchen' and 'laundry'! Oh I'm jealous, I always secretly wanted to be a teacher just because I love reading other peoples work and red pens haha! Also, I always wanted to do the register....! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desk planners are so handy, I used to be rubbish at using them but I find they really help me stay on task!

    ReplyDelete

© Jaye Rockett. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig